Government Financial Assistance Schemes
The Working Family and Student Financial Assistance Agency (WFSFAA) of the Hong Kong SAR Government provides the following financial aid schemes to local students:
Financial Assistance Scheme for Post-secondary Students (FASP) offered by HKSAR provides means-tested financial assistance including Grant (tuition fees, academic expenses and hostel subsidy) and/or Living Expenses Loan to needy full-time undergraduates aged 30 or below. The FASP for 2023/24 academic year is now available for online application. Please visit the online platform of “SFO E-link –My Applications” to submit application.
Applicants are advised to submit their online applications as early as practicable. They must read through FASP Guidance Notes and Online Demonstration before submitting their applications.
- Online Demonstration of FASP Application
- Guidance Notes (English version / 中文版)
- Illustration of Reporting Income and Assets (English version / 中文版)
- Common Mistakes in Completing Application Form (English version / 中文版)
Please contact the WFSFAA on 2152-9000.
(Updated on 8 May 2023)
Non-means-tested Loan Scheme for Post-secondary Students (NLSPS) offered by HKSAR provides a non-means-tested loan to needy full-time undergraduates. Only full-time undergraduate students are eligible for this scheme. The NLSPS for 2023/24 academic is now available for online application. Please visit the online platform of “SFO E-link –My Applications” to submit application.
Interest Rate: Please check the interest rate of NLSPS from the website of WFSFAA.
Applicants are advised to submit their online applications as early as practicable. They must read through NLSPS Guidance Notes and Online Demonstration before submitting their applications.
Please contact the WFSFAA on 2150-6222.
(Updated on 8 May 2023)
Only full-time undergraduate students are eligible for this scheme.
Undergraduate students are only eligible to apply if they reside more than 10 minutes walking distance away from school and require public transport for travelling to school. Applicants should apply for this subsidy under FASP.
Read more: Student Travel Subsidy for Tertiary or Post-secondary Students (STS)
HKSYU Financial Assistance Schemes
HKSYU promotes benevolence and nurtures learned and capable students. HKSYU Financial Assistance Scheme is set up to assist students at economic disadvantages to release their financial burdens, with the hope that they can complete their studies and give back to the society. HKSYU offers a number of financial assistance schemes including:
For needy local students with good moral character and good academic performance
For needy local students with good moral character and good academic performance with the necessity of accommodation
For Full-time SYU undergraduates experience unexpected events in family causing severe financial difficulties. Cases below are considered to be unexpected events:
1. Sudden decease of applicant’s breadwinner(s) in family due to natural disasters or accidents.
2. Person(s) stated in (1) above lose working ability caused by accidents.
3. Person(s) stated in (1) above have to bear heavy medical expenses due to sudden severe illness(es).
4. Sudden decease of immediate family members (e.g. parents, siblings) due to natural disasters or accidents.
5. Applicant or parent(s) have already gone into bankruptcy during the past four years or have bankruptcy petition currently.
Needy students may contact the Office of Student Affairs for emergency assistance throughout the academic year.
Financial Aid for Postgraduates (for local students only)
Extended Non-means-tested Loan Scheme (ENLS)
ENLS is set up by HKSAR government, the ENLS provides financial aid in the form of loans to eligible students to settle the tuition fees of specific post-secondary / continuing and professional education courses in Hong Kong. The ENLS for 2022/23 academic year is now open for application. Please visit the online platform of “SFO E-link –My Applications” for application submission. The application deadline is 31 July 2023.
Interest Rate: Please check the interest rate of ENLS from the website of WFSFAA.
Enquiries: Please contact the WFSFAA on 2150 6223.
Read more: Extended Non-Means-Tested Loan Scheme (ENLS)
Other External Financial Assistance Schemes
Undergraduate students who have financial difficulties may contact Office of Student Affairs for interest-free loans. The amount of interest-free loan is determined on a case-by-case basis. Needy students may apply during the academic year.
Available interest-free loans:
- Sing Tao Charitable Foundation Students' Loan Fund
- Winsor Education Foundation Students' Interest-Free Loan Programme
Students may complete the Request Form and return it with the supporting documents to the OSA for further discussion.
Full-time HKSYU students who have not yet reached 26 at the time of application and wish to enjoy MTR concessionary fares should apply for the MTR Student Travel Scheme. Students must possess a Personalised Octopus (with photo) and a valid “Student Status”.
Type of application
- Renewal application (HK$20)
- New application – to obtain a new Personalised Octopus (HK$90)
- New application – already carrying a Personalised Octopus (HK$20)
- Online Application (starting from 18 August 2022)
- Submit online application via MTR Mobile App or MTR Website
- Activate “Student Status” via Octopus App
- Hard Copy Application (starting from 1 September 2022)
- Obtain the application form from any MTR Customer Service Centre*
- Get University’s endorsement at the OSA by presenting (i) completed application form, (ii) Student ID card, and (iii) HKID card
- Submit the endorsed application form to any MTR Customer Service Centre*
- Activate “Student Status” via Octopus App or at MTR Customer Service Centre*
*Except Airport Express stations, Lo Wu, Lok Ma Chau, Racecourse, Disneyland Resort, Sunny Bay, Wong Chuk Hang, Lei Tung, South Horizons, Hin Keng, Kai Tak, Sung Wong Toi and To Kwa Wan stations
- Snapshot of online application (Chinese / English version)
- Video Demonstration for Online Application
- Graphic Demonstration
- MTR Website
For further inquiries, please contact the MTR hotline on 2881-8888.