Financial Aid for Undergraduates (for local students only)
Government Financial Assistance Schemes
The Working Family and Student Financial Assistance Agency (WFSFAA) of the Hong Kong SAR Government provides the following financial aid schemes to local students:
Financial Assistance Scheme for Post-secondary Students (FASP) offered by HKSAR provides means-tested financial assistance including Grant (tuition fees, academic expenses and hostel subsidy) and/or Living Expenses Loan to needy full-time undergraduates aged 30 or below. The FASP for 2023/24 academic year is now available for online application. Please visit the online platform of “SFO E-link –My Applications” to submit application.
Applicants are advised to submit their online applications as early as practicable. They must read through FASP Guidance Notes and Online Demonstration before submitting their applications.
- Online Demonstration of FASP Application
- Guidance Notes (English version / 中文版)
- Quick Reference for Completing Application Forms (English version / 中文版)
- Illustration of Reporting Income and Assets (English version / 中文版)
- Common Mistakes in Completing Application Form (English version / 中文版)
- Don’t Miss Anything in Application (English version / 中文版)
Please contact the WFSFAA on 2152-9000.
(Updated on 15 September 2023)
Non-means-tested Loan Scheme for Post-secondary Students (NLSPS) offered by HKSAR provides a non-means-tested loan to needy full-time undergraduates. Only full-time undergraduate students are eligible for this scheme. The NLSPS for 2023/24 academic is now available for online application. Please visit the online platform of “SFO E-link –My Applications” to submit application.
Interest Rate: Please check the interest rate of NLSPS from the website of WFSFAA.
Applicants are advised to submit their online applications as early as practicable. They must read through NLSPS Guidance Notes and Online Demonstration before submitting their applications.
Please contact the WFSFAA on 2150-6222.
(Updated on 8 May 2023)
Only full-time undergraduate students are eligible for this scheme.
Undergraduate students are only eligible to apply if they reside more than 10 minutes walking distance away from school and require public transport for travelling to school. Applicants should apply for this subsidy under FASP.
HKSYU Financial Assistance Schemes
HKSYU promotes benevolence and nurtures learned and capable students. HKSYU Financial Assistance Scheme is set up to assist students at economic disadvantages to release their financial burdens, with the hope that they can complete their studies and give back to the society. HKSYU offers a number of financial assistance schemes including:
For needy local students with good moral character and good academic performance
For needy local students with good moral character and good academic performance with the necessity of accommodation
For Full-time SYU undergraduates experience unexpected events in family causing severe financial difficulties. Cases below are considered to be unexpected events:
1. Sudden decease of applicant’s breadwinner(s) in family due to natural disasters or accidents.
2. Person(s) stated in (1) above lose working ability caused by accidents.
3. Person(s) stated in (1) above have to bear heavy medical expenses due to sudden severe illness(es).
4. Sudden decease of immediate family members (e.g. parents, siblings) due to natural disasters or accidents.
5. Applicant or parent(s) have already gone into bankruptcy during the past four years or have bankruptcy petition currently.
Needy students may contact the Office of Student Affairs for emergency assistance throughout the academic year.
Financial Aid for Postgraduates (for local students only)
Extended Non-means-tested Loan Scheme (ENLS)
ENLS is set up by HKSAR government, the ENLS provides financial aid in the form of loans to eligible students to settle the tuition fees of specific post-secondary / continuing and professional education courses in Hong Kong. The ENLS for 2023/24 academic year is now open for application. Please visit the online platform of “SFO E-link –My Applications” for application submission. The application deadline is 31 July 2024.
Interest Rate: Please check the interest rate of ENLS from the website of WFSFAA.
Enquiries: Please contact the WFSFAA on 2150-6223.
Read more: Extended Non-Means-Tested Loan Scheme (ENLS)
Other External Financial Assistance Schemes
Undergraduate students who have financial difficulties may contact Office of Student Affairs for interest-free loans. The amount of interest-free loan is determined on a case-by-case basis. Needy students may apply during the academic year.
Available interest-free loans:
- Sing Tao Charitable Foundation Students’ Loan Fund
- Winsor Education Foundation Students’ Interest-Free Loan Programme
Students may complete the Request Form and return it with the supporting documents to the OSA for further discussion.
The MTR continues to offer concessionary fares to eligible students in 2023/2024 through the MTR Student Travel Scheme. Full-time HKSYU students who have not yet reached 26 are eligible to apply. (An applicant’s age is determined by the date the application is submitted.)
To enjoy MTR concessionary fares, students must apply for the MTR Student Travel Scheme and possess a Personalised Octopus or Personalised Mobile Octopus with valid “Student Status”.
- New application – need to obtain a new Personalised Octopus (HK$90)
- New application for Student Status – already carrying a Personalised Octopus (HK$20)
- Renewal application for Student Status (HK$20)^
- Submit online application via MTR Mobile App or MTR Website
- Activate “Student Status” via Octopus App upon successful application
Hard Copy Application
- Obtain the application form from any MTR Customer Service Centre* or download the application form from MTR website
- Get University’s endorsement at the OSA in person by presenting (i) completed application form, (ii) Student ID card, and (iii) HKID card
- Submit the endorsed application form to any MTR Customer Service Centre*
- Activate “Student Status” via Octopus App or at MTR Customer Service Centre* upon successful application
^If your “Student Status” expires on 31 October 2023 and is not Renewed, full adult fares will be deducted from your Personalised Octopus or Personalised Mobile Octopus when you travel on the MTR.
*Except Airport Express stations, Lo Wu, Lok Ma Chau, Racecourse, Disneyland Resort, Sunny Bay, Wong Chuk Hang, Lei Tung, South Horizons, Hin Keng, Kai Tak, Sung Wong Toi and To Kwa Wan stations.
- Snapshot of Online Application via MTR Mobile App (Chinese / English version)
- Video Demonstration for Online Application
- MTR Website
- Personalised Mobile Octopus with Student Status
For further inquiries, please contact the MTR hotline at 2881-8888.
KMB Fare Saver Kiosk 九巴大專優惠站
Passengers with Adult or Student Octopus can receive a $4 fare discount after taking the first trip on KMB by simply tapping the card at the campus Fare Saver kiosk and using the card to take the second trip on KMB within the same Business Day*.There is no limit to the number of discounts enjoyed per passenger per day, but passengers must follow the “Ride-Tap-Ride”「先乘搭，後拍卡，再乘搭」 procedure to enjoy the $4 fare discount.
Location of the campus Fare Saver Kiosk: 1/F, Residential & Amenities Complex (Image)
*The definition of Business Day is the period starting at 4:45:00 a.m. on any date and ending at 4:44:59 a.m. on the subsequent date.
Please click here for more details.
KMB Monthly Pass Buy-2-Get-1-Free 學生專享九巴月票買二送一優惠
From 1 August to 31 December 2023, members of the KMB Membership Scheme “club1933″ who are holding personalized Octopus with valid “Student Status” can enjoy the Monthly Pass Buy-2-Get-1-Free offer.
Eligible students have to purchase three KMB Monthly Pass with their personalized Octopus with valid “Student Status” consecutively and complete the registration.
A rebate of an Octopus top-up value equivalent to the price of a KMB monthly pass will be refunded to the Octopus card via the Octopus mobile app or at the Octopus Service Stations within 10 to 30 working days after the third Pass is activated.
Please click here for more details.
Understand Your Financial Needs
The IFEC is a public organization and a subsidiary of the Securities and Futures Commission, HKSAR, dedicated to improving financial literacy in Hong Kong. The IFEC promotes and delivers free and impartial investor and financial education resources and programmes through its consumer education platform, The Chin Family.
Tips to tertiary students on financial management: